Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I've had enough.


I've had enough.

Really.

Haven't you?

I'm tired of the hatred, fear, negativity, and discord.

I'm tired of the selfishness.

Most of all, I am tired of politicians-- most of whom don't represent the majority of their constituents (instead they represent the lobbyists) -- and the two major political parties who refuse to work together.

But even concerning people I know, I am tired of the conflicts, the misunderstandings, the arguing, the lies.

Yes, I said lies. And we're all guilty of spreading them.

"What?" you say. "I don't lie."

Maybe not intentionally. But every time you share something on social media without checking out the facts, you are helping to spread more lies. Gossip with a capital "G." People believe what they read. Don't. Anybody, any source, can start a rumor (lie) that somehow becomes "truth." Take it with a grain of salt.

In today's political climate, there is so much transparency, we no longer believe in our leaders. I can see why. They've done so much to disappoint. Before television, leaders were held in higher esteem because the common man didn't know as much about them. No doubt those leaders had their critics and naysayers. After all, the Civil War came about because of the southern states' fears of Abraham Lincoln, right?

It's just that it's worse now. Our freedom to criticize our leaders has led us to go to extremes, to the point that it is more than critical. It is vengeful.

As a Christian, that bothers me. We are taught in Scripture to honor those in authority. This command was given during a time of horrible Roman oppression. Yet those people were to honor their pagan leaders? Wow!

I find nothing in Scripture where Jesus or his followers ever criticized the Roman government. Read it. Read it closely. Let me know if you find it. I've looked and looked. I've never seen it.

Instead, they were told to honor them, as long as that honor did not result in disobedience to God's laws.

So how did Jesus and his followers hope to change the world? By political means? I don't see that.

No, by the message. The message of love and hope for redemption. Change the world one person at a time, not one agenda at a time.

That's not to say political change is not necessary from a moral stance. Slavery was a crime against man and had to stop. Laws exist concerning drunkenness and drugs because of the harm done to the innocent as well as an overall deterioration of society. Pro-life activists strive to protect the most innocent of all, the unborn. Because the unborn and children cannot fight for themselves, someone has to fight for them.

I could go on and on, but here are my thoughts about our country and the situation in which we find ourselves. President Bush had the "points of light" program. I call these my "points of enlightenment." For whatever my opinions are worth!

1. Stop the generalizing and labeling. Just because one person in a group does something bad, that doesn't make the entire group bad. Understand that and get over it.
2.  Politicians, your smear campaigns are exhausting. We'd love to see what you're for as much as what you're against. And don't make it personal. Each one of you has a skeleton in your closet somewhere. Stick to the issues. The most moral president we've ever had was Jimmy Carter, a man of strong Christian principles, but unfortunately, he was an ineffective president. A great man in many ways, but not a good leader for our country.
3. Stop being afraid based upon what people tell you. Research the topic. Read about it. Study it. Learn the truth of the matter. I am sorry, but the Obama Muslim thing was and is tiring. Personally, I don't think he is a Muslim. I do think he is a Muslim empathizer. That's my opinion based upon my research and observations. Could I be wrong? Sure. But I was not going to let others tell me what to believe. I researched for myself. Believing what people say without verifiable facts is the equivalent of believing what any preacher says without checking it out in the Bible.
4.  Let's work together. Let's find common ground. Don't compromise your core beliefs and principles, obviously, but be willing to listen. The Bible also reminds us to be swift to hear and slow to speak.

So before you Tweet something or share a link to Facebook, consider your reasons for doing it. Are your followers going to benefit from it? Is it for the good of your family, your community, your country? Or is it yet another poison to weaken our unity and faith?

We have to unite. Let's stop being Caucasian Americans, African Americans, Native Americans, Asian Americans, etc. Yes, we identify with our heritage. But let's recognize our unique heritages while at the same time just being Americans. (By the way, this idea came from one of my Facebook friends. Wise man.)

Sometimes we call it a racial problem, when it is actually a culture problem. Let's understand that and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment